I've been working on rewriting the IRC plugin for Instantbird since the summer (sometime in August, I can't seem to find the exact date -- at least since Sept. 10th though).
Some big milestones I've completed (with dates if I have them):
There had been a bunch of small bugs I had been having in getting this to work: one error, (which I found quickly) one of the other developers (Florian) was able to help me out with, was that I was not initiating a new object. And after learning a bit above observers I was able to get the UI to respond. I even threw in support for op/half-op/voice After today's work I was able to generate the following screenshot:
- Generate a conversation that works as a raw connection to the server (i.e. as if you had opened a telnet connection to the server)
- Parsing messages and automatic ponging when the server pings
- Joining a channel (2010/12/04, i.e. today!)
This build would be almost fully usable by those who do very little on IRC (i.e. if you just want to go and chat, it'd work well), but there's a lot more work to be done. The code can be viewed in the Experiments repository. (Check it out, there's a 600+ line switch statement.)
Labels: Instantbird, IRC, Mozilla, programming